San Diego Recycling Schedule 2023 • Hours and tips
Located on the west coast of the United States, San Diego, California, is a stunning city that boasts warm, sunny weather, picturesque beaches, and lively culture. Along with its enviable lifestyle, the city takes pride in its green and sustainable initiatives, particularly in waste management and, of course, trash collection.
San Diego has taken significant steps to minimize its environmental impact and foster a cleaner, greener community by implementing various efficient trash collection methods. One of the most unique approaches is the recyclable waste collection system, which encourages residents to separate their waste into distinct categories like plastic, paper, glass, and metal. The government provides a San Diego recycling schedule and a garbage pickup calendar to motivate citizens to participate in this initiative.
- 1 How to recycle in San Diego: Step by step
- 2 Recycling Collection in San Diego
- 3 Type of usual trash that can be picked up in San Diego
- 4 What can a home composting garbage contain in San Diego?
- 5 Garbage and recycling collection services in San Diego: Hours and tips
- 6 When is garbage or recycling collection not scheduled in San Diego?
- 7 How to find San Diego Recycling Schedule 2023
- 8 Companies that offer recycling services in San Diego
How to recycle in San Diego: Step by step
Many people think they know how to do their part to recycle with small actions, but perhaps they don't know how to recycle correctly. For example, food or liquid residues left in bottles, cans, jars, and other containers are contaminants for materials that can be recycled, such as cardboard, paper, etc.
These items can become wet with the liquid remaining in the containers and can no longer be recycled. This is why we recommend a series of simple steps to keep recyclable materials clean and away from contamination.
- Empty: First of all, make sure you empty the recyclables and make sure they do not contain any liquids that could ruin their recyclability.
- Clean and rinse: The items to be recycled must be clean and free of food, liquids, or residues.
- Dry: Before taking the materials to the container, ensure they are dry. In this way, you will avoid ruining other items, such as paper, that could have been recycled.
- Flatten: Reduce the size of more significant recyclables, such as cardboard boxes. You can cut them into smaller pieces or even crush them with your weight. This makes it easier to store and transport recyclables efficiently.
Fact to consider: To ensure proper organization of materials, it is advised not to pack or wrap them in tape or bags. However, if you have shredded paper, you may put it in a bag, as this is one of the few exceptions for recycling in San Diego.
Recycling Collection in San Diego
The city of San Diego has developed a complete garbage and recycling schedule to promote sustainable practices and encourage people to participate in recycling programs actively. The Recycling Collection San Diego schedule is designed to ensure that waste is correctly disposed of and recycled safely for the environment and the community.
By adhering to the schedule, residents can help reduce the amount of waste in landfills, conserve natural resources, and minimize their carbon footprint. The city's commitment to sustainability is reflected in its recycling programs, which include curbside collection, e-waste disposal, and composting initiatives.
Acceptable items for recycling
Every two weeks, a recycling garbage truck roams the streets of San Diego, collecting the following recyclable materials:
- All Empty, Dry, and Loose Recyclables.
- Glass bottles and jars.
- Aluminum foil and trays
- Aluminum and steel bottles and cans
- Boxes and Cardboard.
- Mixed paper and shredded paper (shredded paper must be in a paper bag).
- Paper cartons for food and beverages
- Plastic bottles, cups, containers, jugs, trays, buckets, tubs, and plastic toys.
- Styrofoam™ containers and beverage containers.
- Plastic bags.
- Plastic wrap, food, or liquids.
- Hazardous waste.
- Compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Compostable and biodegradable plastics.
Type of usual trash that can be picked up in San Diego
The garbage truck goes through the streets of San Diego every week, collecting the following products and wastes:
- Hygiene products.
- Pet waste.
- Paper plates.
- To-go boxes.
- Disinfectant wipes.
- Plastic bags.
- Wrapping and plastic film.
- Plastic straws and utensils.
- Products labeled "compostable" or "biodegradable".
- Products tagged "biodegradable" products.
Waste that is not collected
The garbage truck does not pick up some waste because it has specific waste collection days, such as Recycling Day, to collect items that can be recycled. In addition, other materials must be taken to a particular location, such as used oils, toxic liquids, etc. Items that are not collected on regular trash collection days are:
- Bulk trash.
- Compact fluorescent bulbs.
What can a home composting garbage contain in San Diego?
If you are in search of a practical and effective method to handle waste from your household, yard, and nearby green spaces, utilizing a composting bin is an excellent solution. This bin is capable of accommodating different varieties of waste. Furthermore, you can also rely on the garbage truck to collect various types of waste:
- Grass clippings.
- Shrub and tree trimmings.
- Fruit and vegetable scraps.
- Coffee grounds and eggshells.
Direction: Take yard waste to Miramar Greenery, 5180 Convoy Street, San Diego, 92111.
Do not bring the following materials
- Plastic Bags.
- Pet Poop.
- Flower Pots.
- Plant Tags.
Garbage and recycling collection services in San Diego: Hours and tips
Depending on your location within the city, garbage collection occurs from Monday to Friday between 6:00 am and 5:30 pm every week. To know when the garbage will be collected in your location, you must find the collection schedule in the search engine on the official government website, following the steps we explained above.
To help prevent littering, bag or wrap all loose trash material before placing it in the dumpster. Trash should be picked up at the curb or alley by 6 am. Leave enough space between your garbage and recycling bins to enable automated garbage trucks to access them easily. Ideally, containers should be placed at least 3 feet away from obstructions.
When is garbage or recycling collection not scheduled in San Diego?
there will be certain holidays on which the waste collection services for garbage, recyclables, and yard waste will not be provided. It is recommended to plan accordingly and schedule the disposal of waste before or after the holiday period. These holidays are excluded from the regular San Diego pickup schedule, so do not take out the garbage during the following days:
What if I missed the garbage and recycling collection in San Diego?
San Diego Environmental Services has a solution to the common problem of forgetting to take out the trash with its "Get it Done" program, which offers reliable and continuous support 24/7. To do so, you should send an email to email@example.com or call 858-694-7000 explaining what happened.
How to find San Diego Recycling Schedule 2023
To contribute to recycling and waste collection in San Diego, it is essential to know the times and days when the garbage truck will pass by, as it depends on the area where you live. To find out the garbage collection schedule in your area, follow a few simple steps:
- Go to the official San Diego government website.
- Click on the "Get it done" search engine and select the following options:
- I need to > Find.
- Apply > Trash Collection Schedule.
- Finally, click on the "Find now" button.
- Then, a new page will open with the Trash Collection Schedule
- In the "Address Search" box, enter your address.
- As shown in the example image, you will see your search results. If you want to know the garbage collection schedule of a particular point but don't know the correct address, you can place the little Google doll over the street or zone where you want to see the San Diego Recycling Schedule.
- Click on "Bookmarkable Page" to find out all the details of upcoming garbage collection days in San Diego, including the organic garbage collection schedule.
- If, on the other hand, you would like to view the annual San Diego trash pickup calendar, click on the "PDF Calendar" option to download the garbage pickup San Diego CA calendar.
- A new window will open with a PDF flyer with the San Diego trash calendar 2023 marking the garbage day of each month according to the searched address.
In addition, in the brochure, you will find different relevant data and information regarding San Diego trash pickup, Greenery Composting, recycling, etc. All these materials must be disposed of in each garbage can according to their color (black, green, or blue).
Companies that offer recycling services in San Diego
Several companies in San Diego provide recycling services to contribute to the care of the environment and make this city a clean space, properly managing waste and promoting sustainable practices. Thus, some of the top-rated recycling companies in San Diego are mentioned below:
|AIM Recycling San Diego||619-661-1148|
|One Earth Recycling||619-456-0080|
|EnviroGreen Electronic Recycling Services||858-800-1271|
|S.D Recycling Depot||619-832-3848|
|Miramar Recycling Center||858-268-8971|
While these companies have excellent customer ratings and reviews, dozens of others are dedicated to providing these services to the community, like San Diego Recycling Schedule. Suppose the companies mentioned are far from your home, or you cannot hire these services. In that case, we recommend that you research well on the web, as a company closer to your residence undoubtedly offers the same recycling services in San Diego.
You can attend public Recycling Day in San Diego for free. Also, you can access information about these programs on the San Diego recycling events website.