How to schedule Bulky Item Pickup? Adecuate disposal of bulk items
Depending on the location of your home, you may be able to request bulky item pickup service. Not all homes are eligible for this type of service, and it will also depend on the state you are in, so it is important to know how it is done.
You can schedule, change or cancel your bulky item pickup quite easily, especially from the WM website. This is the easiest way for you to schedule your bulky item pickup in a fast manner.
- 1 How do I know if I can schedule a bulky item pickup?
- 2 What can be considered a bulky item?
- 3 Do bulky item drop-off points always open?
- 4 Is it possible to request a pickup for yard waste or dead pets?
- 5 What are the rates for the bulky pickup items?
- 6 How should bulky pickup items be prepared?
How do I know if I can schedule a bulky item pickup?
The first thing to do before requesting a bulky item pickup service is to find out if you have coverage in your area or if you require another service. In WM, you can do it in a very simple way by simply following these steps:
- Visit WM's official website for coverage.
- On the page that opens, you will have to search for the address of the service you require:
- Once you verify if there is service coverage, you will be able to schedule a pickup at your address. However, if there is no availability directly to your address, it will also give you the option of other services or points to which you can take your oversized garbage.
Please note that if you wish to schedule your pickup, you can do so either with a web account or without registration.
How to do it if you have an account?
To schedule a pickup quickly when you have a WM account, simply follow these steps:
- Enter the WM website and select "For Home" in the "For home or business?"
- Next, you will need to like "Request Bulk Waste Pickup".
- You will be asked for a list of the items to be collected.
- When the data is confirmed, an email will be sent to you with all the details of the rest of the steps.
If you do not have an account, you will also be able to do the procedure, the only difference is that in the third step, you will have to provide your information and the items to be collected. The rest of the process will be basically the same.
In case you want to check the status of your service, it is essential that you enter My WM, and in the "Order History" section, you will be able to see all the orders and their status.
What can be considered a bulky item?
Oversized items are all those that cannot be picked up by the traditional garbage service. Basically, it can range from a chair to all the items you have in your attic. Normally each company has their own lists of what items are accepted and which ones are not, but generally, they will be as follows:
- Mattresses & Box Springs
- Bed frames
- Furniture items and sofas
- Other items that may be too large to fit in a regular service container
You should always specify which items you are going to dispose of, especially since some companies will not pick up all types of items and have some limitations. Some of the items that are not picked up by these companies may be:
- Vehicle parts
- Construction materials
- Paints or oils
- Fluorescent lights
This is because these types of items must be disposed of with a company that can safely dispose of them.
Do bulky item drop-off points always open?
No. This type of point accepts bulky items at least once a month, so it is necessary to schedule. Normally when we take the items to these points, we will not be charged anything, because the service is completely free on the dates stipulated by each point.
However, you should always check the hours of operation, because this way you will be taking your garbage at the pre-established times and without any inconvenience. Each state has its own garbage collection service, so you should look at each site until you find the one that best suits your needs.
Is it possible to request a pickup for yard waste or dead pets?
Yard waste or dead pets are not considered bulky items. There are special services that will provide a collection service for these items. Normally, for yard waste, the companies that service your home will make pickups that may be weekly or bi-weekly.
On the other hand, dead animals should not be taken to garbage disposal centres. Small animals such as fish, birds or hamsters can be disposed of in the general garbage.
Keep in mind that each company has its own regulations, for this reason, it is always best to consult the garbage policies before disposing of waste. This way, you will avoid making mistakes in the disposal of your waste.
What are the rates for the bulky pickup items?
Typically, different companies have their own rates, and some may be higher than others. Some offer certain services free of charge, but with certain conditions, some of these being that they are taken directly to a drop-off point.
However, if you are unable to take the items to one of these locations, you should consider that the costs you will have to assume can be up to $500. This can vary considerably depending on the companies, because some may offer lower costs than others. Costs also vary depending on the location, so it is always best to check with the company before requesting pickup.
How should bulky pickup items be prepared?
The preparation of the elements to be collected may vary depending on the area. For this reason, it will always be good to consult directly with the company, however, as a general rule you have the following:
- Items that are covered with fabric should be covered in plastic.
- If they contain water or are used to hold water, they must be drained completely or the liquid must be solidified.
- Any items containing Freon will have to be removed by an individual certified. In some cases, these items can be removed at an additional cost.
- In the case of very long items, they should be cut into 4-foot sections.